Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Alternative forms of transportation are used whenever possible for parking lot security patrols and maintenance.
- Energy efficient lighting protocols minimize energy use and lower our carbon footprint without impacting the shopping experience.
- Mixed recycling compactors help reduce un-needed waste in landfills.
- Environmentally friendly cleaning supplies are utilized throughout the Center.
- Occupancy sensors are installed in employee areas to ensure that lights are off while the rooms are not in use.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building